More “EZ” rock beats in 5/4, this batch written to be easy to play at fast tempos, in 2+3 and 3+2 phrasing:
Ways of practice— good for any page of grooves:
• Repeat each pattern many times.
• Play the entire page without stopping, playing each pattern two or more times.
• Improvise variations on the grooves. Play 1x as written / 1x variation.
• Accent the 1 every two measures, or four measures.
• Vary the cymbal sound; move to the ride, bell, or hihats, play hihats half open, etc.
• Omit the bass drum on 1, then displace it— move it to the & of 5. Cymbal rhythm stays the same.
Get the pdf